Saturday, March 03, 2007

Beef Stew and Buick

Two highlightes of the day:

1) EdP can appreciate this - I threw together a pretty darned good beef stew today in the crock pot.. Cubed-up a riduculously huge top round roast, a couple of giant russett potatoes, a white onion, a tomato, carrots, fresh green beens, peas, a bunch of red wine, kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. I thickened it up at the end with some corn starch and "Damn, Old Dog! That shit is stupid!".

2) As Steener and I were getting into the car outside of Blockbuster today, we heard a cat whining. I found it under the car next to ours. I coaxed it out of there, picked him up and gave him a look-over. Probably about 10 or 11 months old, not collared and had been outside for a while. We took the shivering little critter over to Tails.

At Tails, they had us bring him into an exam room right away, where he suddenly couldn't hold his water any longer and whizzed all over my coat, and then all over the exam table once I set him down! They looked him over, stuck a thermometer up his butt (apperently, cats don't like that) and let him roam around the examination room. We expected that we'd have to take him with us and find a place for him, but they managed to find room for him. We stayed in there with him while they got the paperwork together (you have to sign away your rights to the cat to them). Part of the paperwork procedure is that someone has to name the cat for record keeping purposes. There had recently been a "Joe" there, so I tried to remember what kind of car I had found him under. I couldn't remember, but "Buick" was the first name I thought of. So, the homeless cat's name is officially Buick. If mean old Goblin were more accepting of other animals or other living things, Buick would have been our new cat. He's a good little fella, and from the look of him, he's gonna be a substantial little creature.

I can't say enough about the good people at Tails. They're running a nice facility there and obviously care greatly about the work that they are doing. Tails is deserving of your donations and support and is where we will go in the future to obtain pets - and you should, too!

5 comments:

jeanz said...

If you had any heart at all you'd have given Buick a dish of that beef stew.

Good work, OD & Steener! Two paws up!

steener said...

You did do good work, St. Francis.

We'll find out Thursday whether or not the coat survived.

Michael K said...

Cat pee is the worst. Impossible to get the smell out.

santipissed said...

use yellow onions or sweet onions in your next cat stew. trust me.

Kim said...

AW. You guys rock. My Smooshie came from a dog pound. AnnaZu, no I bought them. But, Little Girl's death and all ... I had to. Not without a deep sense of guilt.
Next kitty will be Shelter Kitty for sure.

About Me

My photo
Wise beyond my years.