Monday, August 14, 2006

Here's a question:

What does it mean to "renew yourself"?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

To reinvent yourself. To change those aspects of your personality that you don't like or that might be holding you back from achieving your full potential. Who am I, Tony?

Lady Di )O( said...

To take a step back and analyze your life and the life you believe you are meant to live.

To have the courage to change the aspects of yourself that are not aligned.

To make strides towards becoming what you know you are meant to be, or as my friend Karen says, "your truest self". I love that.

edP said...

Renewal of what? A baby, an adult, the world, your subscription to Vanity Fair?!?!

This is a big word Old Dog, wrapped in mystery...and not just for the flesh eaters and blood drinkers. There is a sense that even at the heart of physics (I know some smart people no longer believe that matter is neither created nor destroyed)...but the odds are good that the whole of the physical universe is the result of some sort of cosmic renewal process (possibly - BANG, collapse, BANG)...even if this universe will become infinitely dark (which is looking like that is the case with the way bodies are moving away from each other)...the odds are still pretty good that at a certain point the starting point of this universe was from something else.

Anyway, I have no answer to your question other than renewal is part of a mystery at the core of my existence...and the existence of everything I know.

In baptism we (the babies of other flesh eaters and blood drinkers) are renewed...but shit we just got here. Pretty weird huh?

bigsoda said...

To swim against the tide of entropy.

P-Dizzle said...

a nebulous phrase to which can be ascribed projected meanings.

olekobe and lady di)o( are talking about "growth" and big soda is talking about "rage against the dying of the light." edp is talking about mysteries cosmological and theological.

P-Dizzle said...

As far as baptism, I'm not sure it's exclusively the province of flesh eaters and blood drinkers. I'm also not convinced of its value as anything other than a social hoop to jump through. It has always struck me as the emptiest and even cruellest of sacraments--especially for flesh and blood eaters who are supposed to git-r-done right away.

(Says the guy who is considering whether to baptize his children at ages 5 and 7).

P-Dizzle said...

I know, coversation killer

Michael K said...

According to the film Logan's Run, renewing yourself involves putting on silken robes and a hovkey mask, entering an arena called "Carousel" and floating up towards the ceiling which is filled with crystals that zap you to death.

If that doesn't appeal to you, you can escape to Sanctuary where you can live in the Capitol Building with Peter Ustinov and his cats.

About Me

My photo
Wise beyond my years.