A great book, 1491, by Charles C. Mann, sums up with that sentence the problem that resulted from too many mummified rulers living on politically after death. They were never really considered dead, because they were immortal. They spoke through mediums. They also retained all of their palaces and worldly goods. A rapid succession of rulers, as a result of disease, left the Inka society with several mummies competing for power.
There's a lot to be said for the peaceful transition of power under the rule of law.
Sunday, February 12, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
I'm trying to work an Abe Vigoda joke in here.
"Something something something mummy's something something?"
"Turns out Abe Vigoda was using it."
I'll let you know when I fill in the blanks. I'm going to mail it off to the Friar's Club Roast Committee when it's ready.
Viva Vigoda
"Inka society had a serious mummy problem"... So did Freud.
There you go, P-Dawg.
Ooof.
MK is writing Josh's material now?
I write all of Josh's material... AND Abe Vigoda's.
I thought MK was Mort Kondrake...this is the New Old Dog blog isn't it???
Kondracke! dammit I can't spell
Uh, aren't we getting a little off topic? What about the fucking Inkas?!
What about the Inkas!
Stupid Incas. Here in 'merica we just name everything "Reagan" or "Kennedy" and say that our own personal agendas reflect what they would have wanted.
Oh, Holy Shit!
Now Mummy Reagan is trying to break down my door and eat my soul. I take it back! I take it back! I taaaaaaargh....
blah blah blah - it's almost sad how many times we have to ask the Old Dog to put up a new blog posting...
I KNOW! I was starting to feel bad about not tuning in often enough and BAM! Still with the Inkas!
Well inka-dinka do, Old Dog!
New post! Chop chop!! Look what you're making us do!
Wait a minute--that's what this is all about, isn't it? Making us gaggle like baby birds for the precious thought-worms you dangle oh so cavalierly from your throney nest of thorny cavalierness!
Well dangle-wangle DON'T, Old Dog!
Post a Comment