Now that I have a chance to catch my breath, I'll tell you a bit about my weekend. I'm sure that you're dying to hear about it.
Friday- off work at 11am, drove the wife to the train station then went to Trader Joe's, went home, ate hot dogs for dinner, played guitar, camped out in front of the TV 'til midnight and crashed.
Saturday- up at 5:45am, drove to Chicago with the mother-in-law, met the wife at the wife's sister's place, walked to the Newberry Library where the wife was presenting for the Illinois Medieval Association Conference. The theme was peace and conflict in medieval Europe. The wife presented along with her professor and another grad student. The wife's paper was "Didacticism and Domestic Conflict in the Middle English Lay le Freine". It was about the underlying etiquette lesson in the story. Very interesting. It all ties into her dissertation. She's pretty bright and learned. I was impressed.
Her presentation was at 9:30am. We stuck around for the rest of the day, had lunch there and checked out a couple more panels. I'm thinking of becomming a regular medieval studies groupie. I'm getting good at explaining that I'm not affiliated with any university and that I have no background in the field. I want to go to the grandad of all conferences in Kalamazoo. There's a restaurant there called "Bilbo's", and yes - they have a sandwich called the Gandolf!
We went out for tapas afterward with her prof and others. A plate of three different chorizos and a few sangrias later, and I was on top of the world. We got back to D-Town at about 10pm. I went to Otto's for the Bear Claw/Bog/Quatre Tete show. Bear Claw - not bad! Bog- very good, impressing me more and more each time. Quatratet- I didn't stay past the first couple songs (just enough energy for the drunken bike ride home).
Sunday - Brunch with Big John, Em and baby at the Hillside. Mmmmmmmmmmm!
All-in-all, a pretty darn good weekend.
Tuesday, February 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Sounds fun Old D O Double Helix. Why to all of your blogs come back to food? And with all the fucking food you consume - how do you keep your girlish figure?
Just lucky, I guess.
1) Who's in Bear Claw?
2) Did you eat Gandolf?
Old Dog, I saw you've been talkin shit about me to my man Swaffsquatch. That's right: I see it ALL.
Once again its ON.
But not before I join the medievalist groupies. And, dude, Kalamazoo has Bells Brewery, don't forget. You can definitely "eat Gandalf" after spending a few hours there.
Post a Comment