Wednesday, February 22, 2006

That Song Has Failed

I'm really questioning my ability to write a song. I always thought that I'd get better at it, but because of laziness and a low-key, hum-drum nature, I haven't really moved beyond my old mode of writing. I'm at my best when it just happens quickly, and I'm at my worst when I think about it too much. There's a point at which I can strike a balance, and can spend time re-working until something good happens. I then run the risk of trying to do too much, and it becomes an unwieldy clunker with too much going on.


I really admire my friends who are able to write good songs. Unfortunately, I'm also envious, which I feel guilty about, because I know that they work at it and write many, many, many bad songs before a good one comes along - at least that's what they tell me.


I don't claim to be in the same league with the songwriters that I know. I know that I'm not. I'm O.K. with that. I also know that I have written a few that I like and that I think are actually fairly good. I just want to write more of them, and different ones!

Wish me luck, or tell me to stop whining.

8 comments:

tom o said...

Black Angus covered one of your songs.

You win.

Michael K said...

I wish I could help you but the last time I thought I could write a good song I was in high school and writing whiny songs about girls. Turns out that I was a terrible song writer. I'll stick to painting which I suck at less. However, if you want to write whiny songs about girls, I am the master.

P-Dizzle said...

I think if you have a real need to write songs then you're in business no matter how many false starts and aborted attempts you make. All those are is trying to find your voice.

And why do I really, really want to hear michael's whiny high school songs about girls record?

Gunderstorm said...

Because otherwise it's whiny songs about flowers freezing to death in his backyard.

edP said...

Good luck.
Stop whining.

olddogdk said...

Thank you for the posts. I'll never speak of this again.

I also want to hear Michael's whiny songs.

edP said...

and by the way - you wrote a good song the other night dumbfuck

Chris B. said...

All you have to do is play good bass-fiddle.

About Me

My photo
Wise beyond my years.