Monday, June 12, 2006

Vince the One Eyed Eye

Chris B remined me of my old buddy Vince. Vince is the first fake eye that I had.

When they make a fake eye, your name is printed on it. They do this in case it gets lost and the staff at the old folks home has to sort out Vinces eye, from Thelma's, Dan's and Betty Lou's eyes. I'm told this happens fairly often. When I was being fitted with my eye, the woman that makes them gave me a loaner. Seeing her sifting through the loaner bin to find one that might fit was pretty cool. Imagine a plastic shoe box filled with fake eyes. The one that I got had "Vince" written on it. It looked a little funny, but better than what the real eye had looked like, and it was only temporary. My only concern was that this "Vince" guy might come looking for it in some X-Files or Twilight Zone way.

I had to give Vince back about a week later when my eye was finished. Instead of my name, I had the lady write "Old Dog" on my eye. Thousands of years from now, if anyone finds my remains, all there will be is 4 titanium screws where my feet were and a fake eye that says Old Dog. Maybe they'll they'll think I was a robot dog.

6 comments:

Kim said...

FOrgive my ignorance, but what are the screws for?

olddogdk said...

Oh, yea. I had bunion correction surgery on both feet; right foot in Dec. '02, left foot Dec. '04.

Do a google images search for "bunion correction" and you'll find some good photos of the same procedure I had(not for the squeemish).

Michael K said...

I like bunions. Deilicious treats. Why would you have them removed?

olddogdk said...

How else am I going to serve them?

Michael K said...

Oh, right.

Lady Di )O( said...

Holy smoke! Big, fat, crazy and holy SMOKE!

I love Vince.

That story rules.

"Hi, My name is Diana and this is my eye, Vince." I need an eye named Vince.

Why did you have to give him back, OD? Tell me WHY!

;-) not a wink, a pic of OD - one eye.

About Me

My photo
Wise beyond my years.