Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The Good Old Days Of The Cold War


I'm old enough to remember the good old days, when East vs. West meant "How many bombs do they have, and who will use them first?" Being an Air Force kid, I think I had a heightened awareness of the dynamic, especially having lived in Turkey for a couple years, the Black Sea front. Yes, those were the good old days - or were they?

I was never more threatened by terrorism than when I lived there, and I still feel less threatened now then I did then. There were the minor acts of terrorism that never even made the news (as far as I knew), and there were the biggies, like Munich and the Achille Lauro. Even still, there was a greater fear of nukes, whether it was well founded or not. After all - enough nukes are still around, and if you believe MADD, then the likelihood of a nuke war was pretty close to nothing. The consequences, though...

When the Cold War was winding down and all of the academics, politicians and the military strategists were trying to make sense of the new landscape, I was in college studying Politial Science, or Governmental Studies or International Relations - whatever you want to call it. There was only very little attention paid to terrorism, specifically, as a prominant feature of the new set of issues. There was a lot of talk about regional hegemons popping-up, and the fires that fueled ethnic conflicts, once dampened, that were (and are still) burning again; but not much about terrorism. In fact, I wanted to write a paper on domestic terrorism for a class, but the prof. told me that there would be nothing there. Oops.

Anyway, my point is that I'm stupidly nostalgic for the Cold War and am sick of terrorism (like, who isn't?). We've all heard the comparisons between the Cold War, Post War and Post 9/11 worlds, and yes, it's very messy now. I really miss the US vs. THEM simplicity. Proxy wars, spying and shoes banging on tables added layers of interest, but it still came back to the polarized world view. As much as we try to impose that type of simplicity now, it just isn't the same. Plus, the movies and novels and music was fun! James Bond, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Get Smart- all that stuff had a levity to it. You could forget for a while that because of it all, people were living horrible lives and died.

Nowadays, we're dealing with terrorism, emerging nuclear powers and nuclear terrorism. I should be more frightened by it, but I'm really just more confused. Uncertain, really.


Call me an idiot or tell me that I have an unsophisticated opinion, but I want my Cold War era back!

10 comments:

Lady Di )O( said...

Crazy.

I'm glad you shared your story. That is really something else. You have an amazing history and I get into that. A lot. My family was more involved in the WW2 conflict and having come from Baltic States, my family was always being shot at by the Russians or the Germans, finally being saved in German camps. Yes, scary considering what the Germans were doing at that time. But my late grandparents had bullets still lodged in them from both sides of the war. Lithuanians never knew who their friends were then - being ping ponged between 2 evils.

In 1991 Lithuania declared its independance from Russia and the Russians didn't like that. A lot of lives were lost. We teared through the papers and tried to send supplies but my aunts, uncles, cousins etc. were unable to receive their mail without it being pilfered through by the Communists. They took money, spices, food, anything really. Even today sometimes mail doesn't make it to free, UN participatory Lithuania.

I was there in 2000 and went to the graves of the patriots who tried to save the radio tower in the capital city of Vilnius from being take over by the Communists. It was like having the wind knocked out of me. This happened in the '90s?!?

There's a young woman under there.

http://www.balticsww.com/news/features/tk03.jpg

More were killed as stupid Russinas went to the top and shot everything up, including the elevators. The '90s.

Fuckery.

I can't imagine growing up in Turkey. Munich and Achille Lauro. Christ! Sorry. FUCK! Were you there from '72 to '85? Please tell more. Olympics and ships taken from their secure status.

Your life sounds interesting. Far more than our shared expereineces at the AmEx.

Need to sleep.... Di

Lady Di )O( said...

you've inspired me.

P-Dizzle said...

How come the old days always seem "simpler?"

olddogdk said...

It's cuz I was a kid, P Dawg! Whatcha, trippin'?

DC Liar said...

re: if you believe MADD...

What do Mothers Against Drunk Drivers Know about thremonuclear war?
Is that what they made me put in my Jeep as part of the court settlement?

Oh, shit.

Michael K said...

I'm with Joey. I liked the Cold War way more than terrorism. Political conflicts with great big countries is a lot easier to deal with than the messy business of conflicting theologies. Hard to deal with folks who think they are serving their god by strapping a bomb to their back. Also, it is hard to blame them for wanting us to get the fuck out of their country and let them handle shit the way they want. If Saudi
Arabia built a big ass military base in northern Michigan, you and I both know that Ted Nugent would be tossing molotov cocktails over the wall every chance he got.

Sultan of Swaff said...

The Cold War made for better movies, too. Wolverines!!!

olddogdk said...

Sorry- MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) , not MADD. Although, I'm sure we can find a way to blame them for something.

Lady Di, I lived there for only 2 years. I was, like, 7 years old. We got to live in Ankara, not on a base. So, it was pretty cool. Pretty vivid memories of everything from hot loaves of fantasic bread, out of this world kebabs, dancing bears in the street and rats as big as cats. I got to see some great sights, and some of the worst restroom conditions in the world: the only bathrooms worse than I saw there was at the Monsters of Rock at Alpine Valley. It was an exciting adventure. It also made me appreciate the U.S. It took a few more trips up north to make me appreciate Wisconsin again.

edP said...

OD said:

"hot loaves of fantasic bread, out of this world kebabs,"

I've got a feeling some bizarre repressed memories are going to come flooding back to the Old Dog.

olddogdk said...

What's so bizzare about sticks of meat and hot loaves? Oh.

About Me

My photo
Wise beyond my years.