Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The Face of Democracy

Yes, democracy in Afghanistan will look different than it does here. Very different. We now know that the penalty for converting from Islam to Christianity is - death. It is nice, however, that prosecutors seem ready to spare the convert from trial by declaring him to be insane. Thank you, Afghanistan, on behalf of all the insane people in the world.

12 comments:

DC Liar said...

I've said it before, and I'm sayin' it again: Hornets' nest. We should get as far away from that godforsaken region as possible, and for the sake of all that is holy, stop smacking it with a fucking stick.

Michael K said...

What isn't punishable by death over there? Those folks called for the death of catoonists that suggested that Islam is a violent culture. That is extra funny to me. That whole region is one faith based initiative run amok.

P-Dizzle said...

Should Joehad be declared, or should we think of it as constant?

olddogdk said...

I'm not currently in a state of Joehad. I move in and out of it fairly swiftly.

edP said...

"What isn't punishable by death"...that's gold baby.

Michael K said...

Also, the Romans killed a lot of Christians and in the end it worked out for them. Maybe this is just the beginning of a similar process. Only this time people will die in a soccer stadium.

olddogdk said...

People already die in soccer stadiums.

Michael K said...

Right, but not because of Scottsman.

edP said...

Who is the "them" that "it" worked out for Captain Pronoun? You guys all know my feelings about the Roman Catholic church - but as a student of political history, Christianity corrupted and exposed the corruption of the Romans at the same time. This much NM and FN have right about the end of classical virtue. Pity (and later compassion) went from being vice to virtue - spiritedness eventually melted away into forberance and ultimately when the so called Enlightenment - and modern philosophers took the teeth out of religion - the lowest sort of toleration for the sake of civil peace stepped up front and center in the realm of citizenship.

Where does that leave us in the West? Martin Diamond described the pursuit of happiness in a Lockean modern, western liberal democracy as "the joyless quest for joy."

There's some bleak-ass shit for ya.

edP said...

I spelled a lot of words wrong above - sorry.

olddogdk said...

Thanks, Ed. I was going to point out that things didn't really work out well for the Romans, but I went for the jab at the hooligans instead.

Ed, I'm sure that Nick and Fred appreciate that you kept their identities secret in the blogosphere. Good thinkin'.

Michael K said...

Captain Pronoun? I'm so proud to accept my new appointment as Captain of them. I was referring to the ultimate spread of Christianity throughout Europe and western civilization. That "them'.

Also, wish I had been smart enough to make the soccer hooligan comment first.

About Me

My photo
Wise beyond my years.